This year we have tons of green tomatoes because of the weather. My husband picked them and asked what he should do with them. Of course I said “Well, I can try looking up new recipes for green tomatoes” and he cringed. He HATES when I say ” I tried a new recipe”. He’s afraid to be really hungry then he is not going to like what I cooked.
Anyway, I did find a recipe for Green Tomato Cake and it’s like magic!
You go from this…
The cake is very good believe it or not! I frosted it with cream cheese frosting and it just amazing…If you don’t believe me just try it!
Green Tomato Cake Ingredients
- 4 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
- Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting ( I doubled this for this cake)
•4 oz.cream cheese, at room temperature
•½ unsalted butter, at room temperature
•2 ¼ cupsconfectioner’s sugar, sifted
If you make this you will amaze everyone! Enjoy!