What a busy day! Here in our neck of the woods swim team is in full force. That makes for a busy evening! My youngest daughter has been on swim team for several years and I am super proud of her. During swim team season I try to make quick meals. I get home from work and then have to go out forty five minutes later to pick her up (if my husband can’t). That means I am usually in the middle of cooking dinner when I leave to get her. To make things easier for myself I prep (chop vegetables, meats, etc…) some of my dinner fixings the night before. For this particular pie I boiled the sweet potatoes and mashed them the night before baking.
I am not going to lie to you…that is not a home made crust. I am a horrible dough roller so I tend not to make foods/desserts that require any rolling of dough. I really should practice!
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 pound butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, butter, egg yolks, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and evaporated milk. Mix together well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; add 1/4 cup sugar and fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Pour into pie shell and bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until firm.