Tomatoes…they are coming out of my ears. I decided to make a lot of tomato soup to freeze so that we can enjoy the fresh summer taste of tomatoes in the winter.
I like that this is a basic tomato soup. When I am ready to re-heat this deliciousness it has many possibilities. You can add some cooked chicken, cooked rice, or pasta. You can even make it a chunky vegetable soup by adding chopped vegetables.
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 1 quart of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 28 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes (or 28 oz. fresh chopped tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ½ a medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of heavy cream – optional
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, butter, onions and garlic to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 5 hours, or on low 7-8 hours.
- Onions will be soft and translucent when ready.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (or blend in batches in a regular blender)
- Add cream and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Be careful when using your blender with hot liquids as the liquids can “jump” all over the place!
I am set for good winter eating!
Have a great day!
Recipe source number2pencil