This weekend was pure perfection. The fall weather was lovely and we had a wonderful time!
Saturday we went to a Halloween party. We had a great time with family and friends.
On Sunday we headed out to Chinatown to enjoy some food and a little shopping. I love going to Chinatown. We were able to walk around a bit, check out some of the stores and buy a few things. I offered to buy my husband this great tea.
We figured the tea probably didn’t work or there wouldn’t be so many bald or hair challenged men around.
The best part of course is the food!
The We had General Tso’s Shrimp, Chicken and BBQ Pork Steamed Buns, Three Happiness Soup and some Beef Fried Rice. We just all shared so that we wouldn’t eat too much!
We drove to China Town so we were able to enjoy the view our our fabulous city.
I haven’t really ridden too much public transportation since I was in high school. But I have made one or two trips on the “L” train. I had to take a picture of that “L” sign because my brother always makes fun of my being a non public transportation kind of person. It’s not that I have anything against public transportation it’s just that…I’m ashamed to say it…don’t now how to really use it! I am afraid to get lost! OK, I said it!
How does everyone feel about shrimp? I love shrimp. The only way I don’t like it is when I have to peel it. It’s just too much work. I like it to be nice and ready to eat! This awesome casserole was amazing. Look at all that yummy goodness.
I wish I didn’t have to share this…
Cajun Shrimp and Rice Casserole
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled (I used medium shrimp)
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups stock of your choice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups bell pepper, roughly diced (colors of your choice)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup (or any cream of soup of your choice)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (water may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup white cheddar, grated (optional)
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- Cook rice according to package directions omitting water for 2 cups of stock.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in butter until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in okra, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for approximately 3 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook.
- Add soup, wine and soy sauce along with rice and stir until blended completely.
- Stir in white cheddar.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13 dish)
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole bubbles on the side.
This dish is actually pretty healthy I think. You can make it healthier by using brown rice instead of white rice. You can also use reduced fat cheese and probably add a few more vegetables than what is actually called for in the recipe.
Recipe source myinvisiblecrown