I hope everyone had a great New Year’s celebration. Mine was the same as every other year…I was in bed by 11:30! Pretty sad but true!
Yesterday I actually put away all the Christmas decorations and cleaned the house which inspired me to bake! Since it was snowing all day I wasn’t going anywhere so I might as well start the new year being productive.
My first post of the year is about donuts. Who doesn’t like donuts? They come in so many flavors. Sure, the regular shape is round with the hole in the middle but they could also be made in different shapes like the Long John and muffin donuts. I am just sticking to the round one! I had about a cup of eggnog left in the fridge so I figured I should use it making something sweet!
They just looked so pretty! I received a beautiful silver sugar shimmer from a friend for Christmas and I had to use it. I love the way the silver looked against the maple icing color.
My husband busted me in a corner of the dining room taking a bite of this donut…someone has to sacrifice themselves!
By eight o’clock the whole dozen was gone and it was not me who ate them all. It was a joint venture by all of us here.
Eggnog Donuts with Maple Icing
For the Donuts:
- 2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp eggnog
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- sprinkles (optional for decorating)
- In a large mixing bowl, blend flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Beat in egg, applesauce and eggnog.
- Grease and flour donut pan. Pour batter in large ziploc bag. Snip the corner (big snip) and squeeze batter into the donut pan evenly. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until donut springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from pan immediately and allow to cool.
- To make glaze, beat powdered sugar with eggnog and rum flavoring for about 2-3 minutes. Dip tops of each donut into glaze. If using sprinkles to decorate make sure you sprinkle them on right away or they won’t set. Enjoy!
Have a great day!
Recipe source shugarysweets