Have you ever heard of Enchilada Rice? I had not until I found this recipe. I was like what the heck is this? I know this isn’t really a Mexican dish but I was quite intrigued and figured I would try it. I can now answer this question…it is delicious!
I thought that my husband was not going to like it but he even had seconds!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce (about 1 1/2 cans)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, brown beef in a large skillet with onions and bell pepper.
- While beef is browning, stir together sour cream, enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, black olives and black beans.
- When beef is completely browned, drain the fat and add chili powder and cumin and stir and heat one minute. Stir in enchilada sauce mixture and cooked rice and stir and cook until warmed through. Season to taste with salt.
- Top mixture with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar. Cover skillet and heat until cheese has melted, about 1 minute. Top with green onions and serve.
I really enjoyed this too! It really pays to try new foods!
Have a great day!
Recipe source Heat Oven to 350