It is happy for me because I am home…Thank you Presidents!
Valentine’s Day on Friday was so great! I just love it! Here’s a little picture of the things I enjoyed. I had quite a few snacks and I received my Ipsy which was awesome!
Saturday was kind of sad because I had to go back to reality. There was cleaning and groceries to do…oh, well!
As I look outside m window I see the snow falling and the wind blowing it is not pretty. I lied…it is pretty but I am just tired of the snow! At least I am home and don’t have to go out unless I want to.
Last Friday on my post I shared the picture of a disaster! I have a double oven…small on top, large one on the bottom. My husband said that there is something wrong with the regulator that regulates the temperature. That makes me sad! I have never baked cake in the bottom oven so I guess I need to start figuring out how it’s going to bake. I have only ever cooked my turkey in the bottom oven. The reason we bought this particular stove was because of the two ovens. Well, I guess today will be a practice run. The bottom oven takes longer to heat up and doesn’t cook/bake as fast or as hot as the top oven did. I hope I don’t have a disaster on my hands again!
Everyone likes Spaghetti and Meatballs but how about eating it in a soup version? It was really good! Everyone liked it so it was a win-win situation!
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
- 6 oz extra lean (99% lean) ground turkey (or chicken) breast-I used turkey
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, grated (I used a box grater)
- 1 small zucchini, grated (I used a box grater)
- ½ medium onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 32 oz fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 24 oz jar of marinara sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked broken wheat spaghetti pieces (1 inch sticks)
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, garlic powder, tablespoon of grated Parmesan, breadcrumbs, ¾ teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, egg white and milk. Using your hands (or a spoon), mush all the ingredients together until well combined. Roll meat mixture into 30 separate (3/4” – 1”) mini meatballs.
2. In a large stock pot bring 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs to the oil and cook them, stirring occasionally until all sides are browned. Remove meatballs to a dish and set aside.
3. Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pot and continue to heat to medium. Add the carrots, zucchini, onion and garlic and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
4. Add the meatballs, chicken broth, marinara sauce, red pepper flakes and remaining ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the pot with the vegetables. Stir together and cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, uncover and lower the heat to a simmer. Add the spaghetti pieces and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta and the meatballs are cooked through. Add the Parmesan cheese in the last couple minutes of the simmer and stir in.
With the long list of ingredients it looks like it’s a difficult recipe but it’s not! This recipe is Weight Watcher friendly and weights in at 6 Points Plus at 1 1/2 cup serving.
Recipe source Emily Bites