As I made this cornbread all I could do was think about my mom. She has always cooked Mexican food and has never tried cooking anything that wasn’t Mexican except for Jiffy cornbread. When we were growing up she would (on rare occasions) make cornbread. She had a round cake pan with the sliding spatula to unstick the cake from the bottom of the pan.
Wow! My generation is totally different! I will try cooking anything that looks good! And this cornbread that I made was delicious!This was soooo good. The honey came through beautifully. I think I would probably eat this for breakfast, a snack or dessert. Though I think cornbread is traditionally eaten with a meal.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ to 2/3 cup honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar/honey, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
If you are a corn bread lover you must try this recipe.
Recipe source The Taylor House