What a rough week last week! It was Parent/Teacher conference week so I had to work two evenings. I was exhausted so I didn’t even post on the blog like I usually do. But thank goodness that is all behind me!
About two weeks ago my daughter and I had such a craving for funnel. cake! There weren’t and carnivals or fairs going on so we had to make our own!
This was so easy to make and was delicious! I love this dessert for a carnival themed party or just for family night. You could really pump it up with whipped cream and sauces such as strawberry, fudge, etc. Yum!
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees. Reduce heat to medium to maintain the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg and milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into a funnel (with your finger over the tip), or spoon batter into a large plastic bag with a tip cut off.
- Pipe batter into the hot oil making a squiggly design and working from the center out. Fry funnel cake for two minutes on each side.
- Remove from oil onto paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over hot cakes and add any other yummies such as ice cream or sauces.
You see…there is no reason to run to the store and buy those funnel cake kits!
Easy, simple and inexpensive!
Recipe source The Cooking Bride