Dessert is an important thong in my house. I have never been one to buy cookies, chips and other junk food to have at home. I think the most “junk food” food I usually have purchased since I had my kids is granola bars-and that is considered a breakfast food I guess.
I’ve always tried to make sweets at home for my kids. So when there isn’t something sweet to eat my kids definitely remind me.
This dessert I made for Easter is perfect for kids and adults alike. It’s sweet but not too sweet.
This was great for Easter this year. The freshness of the strawberries combined with the nice weather was perfect.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling the top of cake
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9×3-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Grease the side of the springform pan or square pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, combine butter, Greek yogurt, and 1 cup sugar and, using electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy – no more than 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium, mix in the egg, beat until light and fluffy. Then mix in milk, vanilla.
- Keeping the mixer speed low, mix in the flour mixture, gradually, just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips into the batter. Transfer batter to springform pan. Arrange strawberries on top of the cake, cut sides down and close together. Place chocolate chips in spaces in between.
- Bake cake for about 1 hour until the top is golden brown and the tester comes out clean. In the last 5-10 minutes of baking, you can take the cake out of the oven and sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top, pressing them lightly into the top of the cake (the top of the cake will already be baked and a bit crusty) Return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, to allow chocolate to melt a bit and look even nicer!
So you might not see chocolate chips on top of my cake. I used chocolate chips in the cake part but white chocolate chips on top of the cake . It was sooo good.
Recipe from Julias Album
Mother Nature is playing with my emotions. I get teased for a few days and I get to wear some peep toes shoes. The next day I am wearing boots again. Please, Mother Nature send me some really nice weather that will stay for a long while. I’m done with the teasing!
It has been busy and also lazy here. Some days are pretty busy others I find myself just laying around!
Last weekend we went to a food truck festival. I learned about it on facebook and have always wanted to eat food from a food truck. Why? I don’t even know.
I thought the food was a little pricey. This was a sampler from an asian food truck. It included a Lemon Grass Chicken Taco, Pork Belly Slider and Filet Mignon Slider. The chicken was delicious! It had such a fresh taste. The pork belly was not my thing! I don’t like gooey fat. The beef slider was ok. More than anything this sampler just looked pretty!
I had to have a Lobster and Crab Roll so I waited almost two hours in line. It was funny because for the first hour everyone was real chatty and happy. When we were in the second hour a lot of people around us stopped being so happy (including us) we just stood there quietly because of the long wait and in my case my feet were killing me! And I felt that the rolls were just OK. My husband only took one bite out of the lobster roll.
The lines, OH, the lines! I waited 2 hours for some jerk chicken that truthfully would have tasted better if I had made it at home. I was so crabby by the time we got the jerk chicken that I didn’t even take a picture of it.
I have experienced a food truck festival and will never go again. I sound like a big downer. Maybe I’m too old for that kind of thing…NAH! It was the long waits in line that made me the most unhappy. It was nice to get home and put my feet up!
A while back I made this birthday card but I don’t think I ever posted it so here it is. Isn’t it cute?
I like the gatefold card because of the way it opens up. Just a little different than the everyday card.
Thanks for stopping by! We’ll chat again soon!
Supplies: Stampin’ Up!, vintage book page
I hope everyone has been doing well and enjoyed their Easter! My brothers families and mine all got together at my parents house to eat and laugh as usual!
The weather is finally getting a bit better and pretty soon we all will be outside in full force! I can’t wait. I’m pretty tired of the cold and being indoors.
I work with a wonderful group of women! At lunch time we sometimes get together and just enjoy each others company and lunch! One of my friends had a delicious looking dish with some fantastic flavor! I am not shy around these women and actually asked “Can I try that?” I used to be more shy but I think that the older I get the less shy I am!
Whoa! This Aji as it’s called was amazing. The wonderful woman who makes it is Colombian and said that it is typically served with Colombian Empanadas (hers are delicious-I need lessons!) Another wonderful woman actually put it into recipe form and it works wonderfully!
I actually made this one day on Winter break while I was making tamales. I of course did not make empanadas but had some tortilla chips so I ate it as a dip. The flavor is absolutely bright and sunny! I am embarrassed to say that I ate it all by myself throughout the day. It happens, right?
- 1 Cilantro bunch
- 8 green onions (without the roots of course)
- 1 avocado (out of its shell/skin of course!)
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 8 chiles de arbol (less or more to your liking)
- salt to taste
Throw everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt to your liking.
This is definitely going to be a staple in my home and hopefully I will get some empanada making lessons soon! This could probably be used as a sandwich or wrap spread as well.
Have a great day!