Dessert is an important thong in my house. I have never been one to buy cookies, chips and other junk food to have at home. I think the most “junk food” food I usually have purchased since I had my kids is granola bars-and that is considered a breakfast food I guess.
I’ve always tried to make sweets at home for my kids. So when there isn’t something sweet to eat my kids definitely remind me.
This dessert I made for Easter is perfect for kids and adults alike. It’s sweet but not too sweet.
This was great for Easter this year. The freshness of the strawberries combined with the nice weather was perfect.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling the top of cake
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9×3-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Grease the side of the springform pan or square pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, combine butter, Greek yogurt, and 1 cup sugar and, using electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy – no more than 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium, mix in the egg, beat until light and fluffy. Then mix in milk, vanilla.
- Keeping the mixer speed low, mix in the flour mixture, gradually, just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips into the batter. Transfer batter to springform pan. Arrange strawberries on top of the cake, cut sides down and close together. Place chocolate chips in spaces in between.
- Bake cake for about 1 hour until the top is golden brown and the tester comes out clean. In the last 5-10 minutes of baking, you can take the cake out of the oven and sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top, pressing them lightly into the top of the cake (the top of the cake will already be baked and a bit crusty) Return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, to allow chocolate to melt a bit and look even nicer!
So you might not see chocolate chips on top of my cake. I used chocolate chips in the cake part but white chocolate chips on top of the cake . It was sooo good.
Recipe from Julias Album