I hope everyone had a great weekend! I was quite busy but did manage to get a little rest in. I enjoyed this weekend by going shopping with my mom on Saturday then going shopping with my family on Sunday. It was a very productive shopping weekend. I don’t shop too much for myself but I figured with being in a new school and my birthday here that I needed and deserved some new clothes. I might have gone a bit overboard but I did not pay full price for anything. Clearance, Clearance! I did quite well considering my budget wasn’t too big. I was a good girl and even donated some clothes that I haven’t worn in a while…like years.
Cooking has still been a little hard due to how busy I’ve been but using leftovers for another meal has helped a lot! I had leftover brown rice and figured a nice salad would work with it.
I absolutely love the flavors in Greek foods. I especially love Greek dressings for salads. I love the zestiness! We have tons of cucumbers in the garden this summer so they worked out perfectly for this salad. If you have lots of cucumbers from your garden try making this delicious Cucumber Lime Cooler.
Brown Rice Greek Salad
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes – roasted or fresh-I used 1 large regular tomato
- 1 cup cucumber – diced
- ½ cup scallions – minced
- ½ cup corn – fresh, frozen, leftover grilled, etc.
- ¼ cup feta cheese – crumbled
- ½ cup kalamata olives-I used green olives
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tbs dried mint
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To roast cherry tomatoes, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with an even layer of tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes; let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown rice with tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, scallions, corn, feta and olives.
- Stir in lemon juice, zest, olive oil, oregano, mint, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
This is such a great main meal or side dish for summer. I love this stuff!
Recipe Source The Lemon Bowl